Seventh Annual Parkersburg SleepOut
Where: Jackson Park Memorial Ballfields
When: November 5, 2022
Time: 4pm Setup / 6am Tear-down on Nov. 6th
For a moment, consider the face of homelessness. Is it a man on the street corner with a cardboard sign? A woman in the parking lot asking for change? We invite you to consider another face of homelessness. The staggering number of homeless youth is an unrecognized epidemic in West Virginia and across the nation. It is estimated that 3.5 million youth between the ages of 18-24, and another 700,000 youth between the ages of 13-17, experience homelessness in a 12-month period. These youth have fled their homes due to abuse, been abandoned by their parents, or aged out of the child welfare system with no options or support. This precious population has gone without food, without shelter, and without care for too long.
Since 2009, Children’s Home Society’s Parkersburg Site has assisted homeless youth in Wood County struggling to overcome the challenge of homelessness. It has become apparent that youth homelessness in the Mid-Ohio Valley has become a community issue that cannot be ignored. In response, Children’s Home Society of WV launched the Parkersburg SleepOut – a creative, unique, educational, and fun awareness and fundraising event like no other.
The SleepOut will bring much needed care and compassion to the Mid-Ohio Valley’s most vulnerable population. The SleepOut consists of an all-night outdoor event that invites community members to construct a makeshift cardboard shelter to simulate what a night of homelessness is like for these young people. Teams will compete to build the best structure, raise funds, seek sponsors, and bring much needed attention to homeless youth in our community. All proceeds will stay local to support homeless youth in Wood County. We need your help! By getting involved in the Parkersburg SleepOut, you can dramatically impact the outcome of the struggle of youth homelessness.
At Children’s Home Society, we believe that all kids have the right to a home, to food, to guidance and an education, the right to be free from sexual, emotional, or physical abuse, and exploitation, the right to be SAFE, and the right to be valued. We choose to champion the cause of homeless youth. Our fight begins HERE.
General Event Rules
• You may attend the event as part of a team or as an individual. You may choose to sleep out in a tent, in a cardboard shelter you design, or come to the event for activities and entertainment
• A late supper, early breakfast, and hot beverages will be provided throughout the night for participants and volunteers
• Those participating as a team will nominate a team captain to register the team and serve as a point of contact
• Team captain will complete entry forms for any contests in which the team chooses to participate
•There is a $25 per person event entry fee
• This applies to all attendees, whether you sleep in a tent, enter the box contest, or just come for the entertainment
• This can be paid through sponsorships or by the individual
• This amount is not due at the time of registration, but needs to be turned in on or before the night of the event
– $25 = Entry Fee, event t-shirt
– $50 = Entry Fee, event t-shirt, one door prize drawing entry
- For each additional $50 raised, individuals will receive an additional door prize drawing entry
Individual Fundraising Competition
• There will be one grand prize for the top individual fundraiser of the SleepOut
• Donors can contribute to individuals, teams, or a general SleepOut fund online at: https://www.childhswv.org/seventh-annual-parkersburg-sleepout/ (preferred) or by cash or check
• Unspecified donations will be combined with each team members individual funds raised.
- Star: $250
- Comet: $500
- Little Dipper: $750
- Big Dipper: $1,000
- Super Nova: $2,000
To register for the event, or become a sponsor, please fill out the form below. You can pay for your registration/sponsorship via our pay pal link. Please click the donate button below to pay.
If you prefer to pay with check, make checks payable to:
Children’s Home Society of WV
P.O. Box 763, Parkersburg, WV 26102
If Sponsoring, please send logo’s/jpeg files to:
For questions regarding the event, contact Denise Hughes at 304.485.0650
(When making a PayPal payment, please use the “Please add special instructions to seller” text box on your paypal page to notify us where you would you like your contribution to be noted. i.e., location, program, fundraiser, etc., etc.)